The government has provided additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years since 2013 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
The Sports Premium is ring-fenced and can therefore only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but schools have been given the freedom to choose how they do this. Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
From September 2013, schools will be held to account over how they spend their additional, ring-fenced funding. OFSTED will strengthen the coverage of PE and sport within their ‘Inspectors’ Handbook’ guidance so that both schools and inspectors know how sport and PE will be assessed in future as part of the school’s overall provision.
Schools will also be required to include details of their provision of PE and sport on their website, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents can compare sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day. Further information can be found at the Department for Education’s Sports Premium website.
Funding for Lord Deramore’s for 2018/19 is: £18,070
You can view this year’s detailed plans here:
Funding for Lord Deramore’s for 2017/18 was: £18,020
You can view last year’s detailed plans (and evaluations and impact from last academic year) here:
Funding for Lord Deramore’s for 2016/17 was: £8,861
You can see 2016/17’s detailed plans for using this money here:
Sports Premium Funding prior to 2016
Please click here to see the overviews of Sports Premium spending in previous years.