We hope you find the following information useful. If you have any questions or comments, please email email@example.com
Welcome back! We are looking forward to an exciting Autumn term in Key Stage 1.
Our topic this term is weather. As geographers, the children will learn about weather patterns and the names of the countries and capital cities of the UK. They will prepare a weather forecast. As artists, they will recreate the seasons using a variety of media.
Year 1 and Year 2 will be learning about plants. During the term, we will also be learning about seasonal change.
Year One’s key question this term is: ‘Who is a Christian and what do they believe?’
Year Two’s key question this term is ‘Who is a Muslim and what do they believe?’
All state primary schools have to follow the National Curriculum. At Lord Deramore’s, we have used the National Curriculum as a basis for a creative, topic-based curriculum designed to stimulate the interest of the children.
English and maths are core subjects which are tested at Year 2 and Year 6. Use the following links to find out more.
|Y1 Maths||Y2 Maths|
|Y1 Reading||Y2 Reading|
|Y1 Writing & SPaG||Y2 Writing & SPaG|
Our aim is to foster a love of books and reading for enjoyment and information. Please hear your child read a minimum of three times a week; even fluent readers benefit from reading aloud to an adult and talking about what they have read. It is important that you note in your child’s planner each time they read with you at home and write the book title and ‘Please change’ if you think they are ready for a new book. Don’t forget to check your child’s understanding of the text by asking questions.
We will visit the library most weeks. Both classes will visit the library on a Monday. All children should bring their library books ready to change each week.
Homework menus will be sent home each half term. Please sign and date activities when they are completed. There are always more activities than weeks so not all activities need to be completed. Please return these on 20th October.
Please encourage your child to work on their spellings during the week and not complete them all in one go. Spellings will begin week beginning 18th September for Year Two and Year One.
Year 1 will have PE on alternate Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Year 2 P.E. will be on Wednesday every week. We will also alternate between Tuesdays and Thursdays each week. However, it is important that your child has full PE kit in school at all times as occasionally it is necessary to change the timetable at short notice. Please check your child has the following items in a named PE bag for indoor and outdoor activities:
- white t-shirt
- dark shorts and jogging bottoms
- dark sweatshirt
- spare pants
- spare hair bobbles
Stud earrings should be removed or taped up. Please provide micropore tape for this. All clothes and shoes must be named and kept at school in a named bag.
Year 1 forest school sessions are on Friday mornings and Year 2 on Friday afternoons, dates to be confirmed in the weekly newsletter. The children will need clothes appropriate for the weather:
- wellington boots/snow boots
- waterproof trousers
- warm, waterproof coat with hood
- warm socks
Wellies and outdoor clothing may be kept in the storage box outside the classroom.
All clothes and boots must be named.
- For a trial period, at the start of the day the children can free flow in from 8:40am. Mrs Graham will be at the Key Stage 1 entrance to answer questions or to take messages.
- The KS1 entrance will be closed at 9am to ensure pupil safety. If you arrive after this time please take your child to the main (front) entrance.
- Your child will need a school bag to carry their water bottle and fruit. They should also have a book bag/plastic wallet to keep their reading book and planner in good condition.
- All water bottles must be marked with your child’s name (nail varnish or Tippex work well).
- Children can bring a fruit/veg snack for morning break if they wish.
- If your child is going home with someone who is not on your list of adults collecting please write it in their planner.
- Nail polish and tattoos are not allowed. Long hair must be tied back for safety reasons. Jewellery should not be worn in school.
Please do come and speak to us if you have any questions. Thank you.
Remember you can also keep up to date with what is happening in school on Facebook and Twitter.