Children transfer to secondary school at the beginning of Year 7, and applications must be made in September/October of Year 6. There are a range of activities held each autumn for prospective parents/carers to gain additional information for individual schools.
Secondary School Open Evenings
Open evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, parents and carers to attend and view schools; due to COVID-19 guidelines this was not possible in 2020 however schools are hoping that they can return in 2021 and the planned dates are as follows:
- All Saints’ RC School – Thursday 14th October 2021
- Archbishop Holgate’s CE School – Tuesday 28th September 2021
- Fulford School – Thursday 7th October 2021
- Huntington School – Tuesday 5th October 2021
- Joseph Rowntree – Thursday 30th September 2021
- Manor CE Academy – Wednesday 29th September 2021
- Millthorpe School – Wednesday 6th October 2021
- Vale of York Academy – Wednesday 13th October 2021
- York High School – Tuesday 12th October 2021
We advise that you check school websites for confirmation of the Open Evening arrangements.
Guide for Parents/School Catchment Areas
Please read the Guide for Parents before applying for a school place, it contains key information on school admissions for parents/carers. You can also find the Guide to School Catchment Areas online.
Applications can be made until 31st October. Late applications can be made after 31 October, though these may be looked at after other applications.
Applicants will be advised of their allocated school from National Offer Day, usually in March.
Supplementary Information Forms
If you are applying for schools outside of the City of York area or faith schools such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary school, you may also need to provide additional information such as proof of baptism, or fill in a Supplementary Information Form (SIF).
You should check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but you must always apply to your home Local Authority.