Children transfer to secondary school at the beginning of Year 7, and applications must be made in September/October of Year 6. There are a range of activities held each autumn for prospective parents/carers to gain additional information for individual schools.
Secondary School Open Evenings
Prospective pupils can attend school engagement activities in September and October each year. Open Evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, parents and carers to attend and view schools. Each school holds their event on a different evening and the planned dates for the Year 6 open evenings are as follows:
- All Saints’ RC School – Wednesday 28th September 2022
- Archbishop Holgate’s CE School – Thursday 6th October 2022
- Fulford School – Wednesday 12th October 2022
- Huntington School – Thursday 13th October 2022
- Joseph Rowntree – Wednesday 5th October 2022
- Manor CE Academy – Tuesday 4th October 2022
- Millthorpe School – Tuesday 11th October 2022
- Vale of York Academy – Tuesday 27th September 2022
- York High School – Thursday 29th September 2022
We advise that you check school websites for confirmation of the Open Evening arrangements.
Guide for Parents/School Catchment Areas
Please read the Guide for Parents before applying for a school place, it contains key information on school admissions for parents/carers, and a new guide is issued each year in September. You can also find the Guide to School Catchment Areas online.
Applications can be made until 31st October. Late applications can be made after 31st October, though these may be looked at after other applications.
Applicants will be advised of their allocated school from National Offer Day in March.
Supplementary Information Forms
If you are applying for schools outside of the City of York area or faith schools such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary school, you may also need to provide additional information such as proof of baptism, or fill in a Supplementary Information Form (SIF).
You should check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but you must always apply to your home Local Authority.